We have all been there. Long nights laying there with thoughts zooming around in your head, your mind won’t stop, the to-do list just keeps going and going with endless thoughts churning like an ocean during a storm. You simply cannot sleep and time keeps ticking by leaving you awake while the world is at rest. A sleepless night is miserable to say the least.
In order to function and perform daily tasks we need good quality sleep. We spend an average of one-third of our lives asleep. Sleep is necessary in order to recharge our minds and our bodies. According to Harvard Medical School the average American adult gets 6.9 hours of sleep on a weeknight and 7.5 hours of sleep on weekends and about 70 million of us sleep poorly and for more than half of Americans poor sleep is a long-term problem. Sleep helps with memory function, attention and awareness to our surroundings, reduces stress, makes us less prone to accidents, increases our creativity and more. If you are not getting adequate sleep or if you want to enhance your sleep, the use of essential oils can truly help.
How Aromatherapy Can Help
Diffusing certain essential oils in your bedroom can help you get the restful sleep you need. Essential oils will not cure insomnia or the cause of it however, using essential oils with therapeutic properties for calming the nervous system can help to promote a good night nights sleep. Many of us are familiar with tea light diffusers however nebulizers (electronic diffusers) are perfect to use while you sleep; there is no candle and they turn off automatically. You can fall into a slumber and not worry about a thing!
Here’s a list of essential oils to use for a restful nights sleep:
Chamomile, Roman– Helps to promote calm and restful sleep.
Clary Sage– Balancing to the mind, calming.
Frankincense– Helps to reduce anxiety and stress. Also
helps with the respiratory system.
Lavender– Calming. Helps to reduce mental stress and anxiety. Very helpful for insomnia.
Neroli– Has sedative properties, soothing. Useful in times of insomnia.
Orange– Calms the nervous system.
Rose– A sedative for the nerves. Helps to alleviate irritability and insomnia.
Sandalwood– Helps to relax the nervous system. Useful for insomnia.
Aroma Blends for a Good Nights Sleep
- 5 drops Neroli essential oil, 3 drops Orange essential oil and 4 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops Clary Sage essential oil, 4 drops Frankincense essential oil, 5 drops Sandalwood essential oil
- 3 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil, 6 drops Sandalwood essential oil, 4 drops Rose essential oil
Tips for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Place an aromatic blend in your nebulizer about 15-20 minutes before turning in; the aroma will fill your room before you get there making it a sanctuary for sleep.
- Take an aromatic bath using essential oils listed above. Use no more than 6-10 drops total in your bath.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages after noon.
- Avoid rigorous exercise at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid falling asleep with the television on, better yet, remove the television from your bedroom completely.
- A few minutes of meditation can help and gentle yoga stretches can also help you relax after a busy day.
Take time to wind down before bed so your body has time to switch gears from the activity of the day. Perhaps spend some time reading or writing out your to-do list for tomorrow. Find a routine that works for you. You may find that you look forward to bedtime with the use of a nebulizer and essential oils and wonder how you lived without it! Combining the use of aromatherapy with an evening routine to wind down is a healthy habit in which you will be rewarded with shut-eye, a well rested body and mind to take on the day! Good night and sleep well everyone!